Sunday, May 9, 2010

"Wedlock is a Padlock", and other fun things I learned at my first Kenyan Wedding


While I was in Mbita last week, I had the opportunity to attend my first Kenyan, actually my first African, wedding. Though I didn't know the bride or the groom, I was warmly welcomed by both and had the opportunity to join in much more than just the wedding day celebrations.

Though most of the wedding guests and bridal party call Mbita home, the wedding was held in Homa Bay, a neighboring Lake Victoria town.

Anticipating the short trip to Homa Bay to take little more than an hour, we left Mbita Friday evening around 5pm. Stuffed into a car with no less than 4 junior bridesmaids, 6 flower girls, 3 'senior' bridesmaids and one groomsman, we started our journey. However, mud, lorries and Kenyan roads don't necessarily make for a quick trip.

Four hours later, no longer in the car, but riding on a Kenyan bus, already a bit tired from the days journey, but still singing catchy Swahili worship songs, we arrived safely in Homa Bay.

Once in Homa Bay, the wedding party started trying on their gowns, tuxes and little white lacy dresses. I met the bride and settled down in front of an English dubbed Spanish soap opera.

Around eleven o'clock, the group gathered and started moving from one building to the next. Unsure, but hoping for the best, I grew giddy with anticipation of sleep. However, rather than turning in for the night, as I had so sweetly envisioned, the group geared up for the wedding rehearsal.

Around midnight, dinner was served. Ugali, sukuma wiki and for one delicious moment what I thought to be flank steak, but turned out to be liver, were on the menu.

In Kenya, the bridal party doesn't march down the aisle, they dance. So, after our midnight meal, the flower girls, bridesmaids and groomsman each took their turns practicing their wedding day dances. Chai was served sometime around 1 am, young ones' hair was blown out and chemically treated. Finally, around 3 am the party ended. Snuggling into my single bed, beside my new Kenyan friend, bridesmaid Mourine, I quickly drifted off to sleep.

The bridal party was up and primping shortly after 6. Somehow, even though my tiny room was packed with giggling and excited bridesmaids, I managed to somehow doze until nearly 9.


Rehearsal Night - I had never seen this kind of primping!
Who needs beauty sleep when there are chemical hair treatments to be had?
Sometime after 2 am
!

The wedding was held outdoors, on the shores of Lake Victoria. Quite the beautiful, posh African affair.

The Guests


As this was my first Kenyan wedding, I wasn't really sure what to expect. I found the ceremony (all 6 hours of it!) to be a bit more Western, than I originally anticipated. At times, I found myself questioning which parts of a wedding, whether its being held in Kenya, America or Timbuktu, are necessary for a Christ-centered marriage? When did the white dress, lace veil, teared wedding cake and newlywed dept make their way to Kenya? Why does it bother me a little bit that they have?

With this said, there were so many interesting, fun Kenyan touches to this particular wedding.

For instance:

  • Though it might have taken close to an hour, I sort of got a kick out of the bridal parties dance down the aisle.




  • After the bride and groom said their vows and were officially pronounced, 'Man and Wife', the bridal party broke into an impromptu (or was it?) line dance. Meanwhile, the rest of the congregation, both young and even those who were quite old, stood up where they were and boogied. It was joyful, it was carefree, it was so stinkin' fun!
I couldn't get enough of this guy. Not only is he cute, he could also really DANCE!!!
He was, by far, my favorite wedding guest.


Yep, even I was there.

Here's to the happy couple, Violet and Sylvano.
May God richly bless their lives together
!

No comments: