Thursday, May 20, 2010

"Now, what is it that you do exactly?"


In late January when we first returned to Didinga, a conscious effort was made to take things slow. Not wanting to rush into anything and intentionally planning to set aside a good portion of time for language learning and relationship building, I hoped to start my work in the schools after the April elections. However, things don’t always go as planned. At least, not when you are living in Sudan!

In early February, Eunice asked me to tutor Facearah, one of the young girls living on the compound. I jumped at the opportunity!


After two days tutoring Facearah, five more pupils were added to my group. Within the week, it was decided that I should take over P3, the oldest class of students at the Nagishot Nursery School. Later that month, for many complicated reasons, I became the only teacher teaching in Nagishot.


Last term, my class of P3 students consisted of a group of boys and girls anywhere from nine to twelve years old, academically functioning at a kindergarten to maybe, on a very good day, 2nd grade level.


I am convinced that it would be nearly impossible to find a more eager group of learners. As these students do not speak anything but the most rudimentary English, I am attempting to teach them in Didinga. When Eunice first suggested that I take over the P3 class, I laughed and reminded her that this might be a bit difficult considering the fact that I was not yet fluent in Didinga. She was convinced that I was ready (or maybe, just really desperate for a teacher) and somehow with the daily grace of God, I have been able to teach without a translator. It is.... hard, to say the least, but my students are incredibly flexible and very patient with my sad attempts at speaking their language.


However, at this point, my language skills simply are not at the level needed to adequately teach Christian education. This is a concern. I am looking – alright, begging – for a Didinga translator, to assist me with these lessons, but sadly, no one has jumped at the opportunity. Please join me in praying for that perfect person to come alongside me in sharing the Good News to this group of little ones.


At this point, our curriculum is quite basic. We are focusing on math, reading, writing and social studies. Math is taught with an emphasis on number sense. Reading is by far my students’ weakest subject (which is not surprising when one considers the fact that their mother tongue is an unwritten language). The seven continents and the great BIG world outside of Didinga were introduced in social studies and geography.


P3 students showing off their world maps



Trying to work against the African educational norm of rote memorization, much of my day is spent asking my bewildered students these seemingly simple questions: “How do you know?” and “Why do you think so?”. These, “Let’s THINK!!!” questions are usually met with deer in the headlight gazes. In fact, after weeks of asking my students to explain their thinking, I literally danced around the room the first time I got a response. We’re all learning…


Though we didn't have one Snow Day last term, we had several Rain and even a few, Wind Days. Teaching in this agricultural society means that some days, the majority of my students are hoeing a roe in a distant field, rather than learning their letter sounds in my classroom. In fact, on one particular day, the whole school (including myself) went on a literal “field trip”. In a few hours, working together we managed to clear the field for Eunice’s elderly mother.


In the near future, my role in the school may be two-fold. Eunice and Pastor William have voiced a desire for a teacher trainer. However, with the apparent lack of serious Didinga teachers, I am not yet convinced that this is where God wants me to spend my time and energy. Time will indeed tell.



When I return to the Hills next week, if I am still the only teacher teaching in Nagishot, I plan to split my work day; teaching the Baby Class and P1 students in the morning and the P3 students in the afternoon.


I am excited to get back to the classroom. I LOVE my job!



Nagishot Nursery School

Inside the P3 classroom -
I was pleasantly surprised by the school facilities.
This is a VERY nice Sudanese school!

This picture was taken in the school supply room.
Thanks to the generosity of the
Evangelical Free Church in Austin, Texas,
I have a load of teaching materials.
Thank YOU so much!!!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Kim, I found your site and look forward to following your progress across southern africa. God bless the three of you. Shine for Him! Terry