Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Going on About Safari

This is Safari.
Through a series of sad events that I won't pretend to understand and feel quite uncomfortable posting on the internet, a solo Safari came to live on the Nagishot compound.

It is hard to say, but my best guess is that Safari is anywhere from two and a half to three years old. In my opinion, the perfect age of childishness.

She is a blessing. Most Nagishot mornings, it was her toothy grin and open arms, that greeted me as I staggered from tent to outhouse. And there is no greeting like that of a little one: unashamed, not yet trained in the fine art of reserved bashfulness, so open and generous with their affection.



For many African children, those who have grown up on the backs of their mothers and older sisters, security is found strapped to another. Safari is no different. On her hard days, days when she is not feeling well, overtired or just a bit cranky, Safari will hold onto my leg and ask again and again to be strapped to my back.

Sure she is a bit heavy, but so many of my favorite Didinga moments, have been moments in which this sweet girl has cuddled, slept or been "helping me" while tied to my back .

A tired Safari and I wash the laundry.
The Didinga people use the term 'mother' pretty loosely. Those who help with the bathing, feeding, entertaining and general loving of a child seem to fit the category. A possessive Safari seemed to think so. Anyone who would listen, along with neighbor children wanting to hold a hand or sit on my lap, were strongly reminded, "Mamma shanni chenni!" (This is my Mom!) .

I didn't have the heart to disagree. I mean, "It takes a village..." Right?

2 comments:

w said...

I just read a book to my preschooler that was just like this story! Except it was about a bird and a bear. This is so beautiful. I think God uses the term "mother" pretty loosely as well.

Amelia said...

Hmmmm God sure does provide opportunities to fill your heart's desire now doesn't he? ;)