Thursday, May 6, 2010

Remember the Suba Lakers?

Remember the Suba Lakers football team?
Sure you do, I met this fine group of teenage girls last August, on my first trip to Mbita, Kenya.

A few weekends ago, I tagged along to Kisii and had the opportunity to watch the Suba Lakers compete in the Coca Cola football tournament. Last summer, I was pretty impressed with this football club, but let me tell you, in the past eight months, these girls have IMPROVED!!!





I think that it is safe to say, that many of the girls on this football team come from homes and go to schools that are far from ideal. My Mbita friends, Joe and Jenny, use the football club as not only an opportunity to improve and showcase these girls' natural athletic abilities...

but also to mentor, love...
and spiritually guide a group of God's children.
And that's pretty important, if you ask me.



If you would like to learn more about the Suba Lakers football team please check out Joe Peterson's blog at: http://joekenya.blogspot.com/ and maybe Jenny's too, if you can find the address, which seems to escape me.