Saturday, May 22, 2010

Healthy Again! Email - How to Email me in Sudan - Prayer Requests


Tenwek Hospital - "We Treat - Jesus Heals"
I think, that the structure to the left is the hospital's new surgical ward.

I am bit surprised that I was awake long enough to take this picture.
To say the least, I was very well rested at Tenwek.

Day 17 - On the road to recovery!
(This is a bit of the gauze that was jammed into the hole in my foot every evening. By the time that I thought it might be cool to have a picture of the nasty MRSA, it was almost healed up. I apologize to all of you doctorish friends. I know that you would have enjoyed a gorier shot, but did you happen to notice how all of the skin around the sore pealed off? That's pretty gross, isn't it?)
Hi Everybody,
I am healthy again and praising God for it! It turns out that my
'little infection' was quite a bit worse than I originally thought. It
is believed that I had something called MRSA, an antibiotic resistant
infection. Supposedly, the IV drugs and oral antibiotic that I was
prescribed are the only drugs capable of fighting this particular
infection. Drugs, that Dr. Galet my doctor at Tenwek, was pleasantly
surprised were even in stock, as they are incredibly hard to come by
here in Kenya.

A few days before I left the hospital, I hobbled up to Tenwek's

pharmacy window wanting to pick up my oral antibiotic. Those pesky
HIPPA laws haven't quite caught on here in Kenya and neither has a
little something called a line. So, there I stood in the literal mob
of people, holding my ground, while at the same time making sure
nobody stepped on my almost MRSA free right foot. When I finally got
up to the counter, I was informed ever so nonchalantly that I owed
10,500 Kenyan Shillings for my eight day antibiotic. To put this in
perspective, a ten day prescription of amoxicillin costs about 300
Kenyan Shillings. So, you can imagine that I, and the crowd of Kenyans
pressed in at my sides, were a bit put off by this new figure.
Thinking that I surely must have misunderstood her, I asked her to
repeat the figure two more times, before I asked to see the paper and
do the math again for myself.

Later, after paying about 1/4 of monthly salary on those fancy pills,

I asked Dr. Galet if I had been overcharged. He informed me that
those particular pills, the ones necessary for my infection, cost
about $100 per pill in America!!! I saved about $94 per pill here in
Kenya.

It really is such a blessing that this all happened so close to

Tenwek. It is a bit scary to think what could have happened if I was
in Sudan or how much money I would have spent if all of this would
have happened in America. God is really so good!



Other exciting news:

  • After many failed attempts to secure a flight back into Sudan, Elly and I are scheduled to go home to Didinga this Wednesday, May 26th.I am eager to get back in there.
  • Our houses have FINALLY been finished. Which means we will be upgrading from the tents to our very own mudhuts!!! Insert HUGE grin here!!!
  • Elly, my awesome fellow missionary lady, who just happens to be one of the most generous people I have ever met, bought us a solar panel. What does this mean? Well, it means that we will have some power and EMAIL!!!! I would LOVE to hear from all of you in the Hills, but please remember these small details when communicating:
  1. When in Sudan email me at: kim.davey@aimint.net (ironically, I only check kiminsudan@gmail.com when I am out of Sudan).
  2. Satellite Email is NOT cheap!!! Help cut costs by removing any unnecessary text from emails. When replying, erase any prior text we have exchanged.
  3. Use HTML - plain text only!
  4. Do NOT send pictures or forwards (I won't get them if you do).

Prayer Requests:
  • Please do pray for the health of our mission team (especially Tianne and myself). This past term has been an unhealthy one: amoebas, ghardaia, flues, colds, MRSA... Though we joke about our abnormal stomach activity, the 'sickness of the week' and the fact that our bodies seem to be breaking down in Sudan, we would truly appreciate your prayers for our health. Pray that our bodies would be strong and that the enemy would not use sickness as a means of keeping us from our work in Didinga.
  • We thank God for the peaceful elections that took place this April and continue to pray for a peaceful referendum this coming January.
  • I am so grateful for my job teaching in the Nagishot school! I am incredibly thankful for my eager and hard working students. Pray that my students would leave our classroom each day with more than academic answers, but with a hunger in their heart for the Gospel, for the Savior.
  • Continue to pray for the salvation of our friends in Napep. Pray also for eyes to be opened and The Word to be preached and understood at the new Napep church.

Sending my love to you,
KIM

No comments: