Sunday, July 5, 2009

Ngorongoro Crater Safari

You know that book, "1000 Places To See Before You Die"? Well, it refers to the Ngorongoro Crater as the, "The world's largest unflooded, intact calder, acclaimed as one of the natural wonders of the world, both for its unique topographical beauty and for the staggering concentration of animals that live there."
Our team traveled there the other day to break the monotony of the endless wait...
We have been in Africa almost nine months, but with its wide savanna and khaki clad tourists, I finally felt the part.


We saw loads of animals...lions, elephants, water buffalo, the aloof black rhino (oooOOOOooo!!!), hippos, hyenas...and a bunch of other characters from the Lion King.


When we first entered the crater, I was a bit skeptical. A safari sounded like a glorified and expensive visit to a REALLY big zoo. Ever since my former nanny days, I don't really do zoos. At least not super enthusiastically. However, when our Land Cruiser drove into this Crayola crayon green pasture, just filled with zebras, I changed my mind. Zebras are pretty stinkin' cool, if I do say so myself. Talk about a photogenic part of God's creation!!!


2 comments:

Amelia said...

Kim, I am so glad you are getting to do neat things while you wait. Also so cool to see pictures of the people you were telling me about. You continue to be in our prayers...hang in there! (thanks for blogging too and your pictures are awesome!!)

Tina said...

Ditto to what Amelia said... :)
-Bean