Friday, March 22, 2013

They're not all sweethearts...

Remember Nyokolaci? 

He's a real sweetheart.

In July of 2012 he blessed me with six rows of sweet potatoes!  You can read all about his kindness here: Surprised by goodness...


Did you know that sweet potatoes take quite some time to mature - about 8 months!!!  

That is 8 months of weeding and 8 months of sweet dreaming of sweet potato fries.
 
 
Now, do you see this yellow bowl?

Well, this little yellow bowl and one other partially filled bucket comprised my much anticipated, though desperately pathetic, sweet potato harvest this year - in full.

If in fact you are still reading (thank you for that), I am sure there are assumptions flying as to the color of this authoress's thumb.  And though I love taking the ol' stab at "living off the land" as much as the next guy, I can't pretend, even for one New York minute, to know all the ins and outs of gardening.  

However, I can say, even in my current state of novice sweet potato farming, that I am pretty sure (maybe 97.3%) that sweet potatoes don't dig themselves out of the ground.  

Would you agree?

That brings me to this charming story of cross cultural missionary living...

Abbi and I were welcomed back to Nagishot from our Christmas holidays away with a traditional Didinga welcome - ie. robbery.  You see, while we were away with family, sipping eggnog, cuddling other peoples' white babies and dressing in bulky outdated layers, our neighbors were busy stealing buckets and bath products from our outhouse and our clothesline from the yard.  Have I mentioned that this is our fifth, or is it sixth, stolen line of the year?  I am seriously considering the installation of an electric clothesline.    Are you shocked??? 

Running with this same train of thought, I think that it's pretty safe to say that my missing carrots and sweet potatoes did not simply get up on their own and walk away.

Which brings me back to my previous assessment - they're not all sweethearts! 


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sorry to hear your neighbors don't understand what it is to be "neighborly", however I am glad to hear there are some sweethearts in the bunch. Much love to you.

Fiona Jongsma said...

NoOh man... I suppose no one in Nagishot goes away for extended periods. Maybe they would be robbed too if they did.. perhaps don't take it personally