Thursday, December 22, 2011

Love/Hate Relationship

I have a real love/hate relationship with technology.

The internet came to Nagishot last month. I was thrilled at the possibility of communicating with the outside world more frequently, yet more than a week passed before I finally logged onto the internet here in Sudan.

And though I still prefer a stamped, handwritten letter to an email, I am not above admitting that the internet is pretty amazing! In the last month, I have “chatted” with family and friends, Facebook let me know that Isla, my dear friend’s second daughter, had entered the world and also announced the passing of my dear, Aunt Florence. Skype has allowed me to wish my Mom a very happy birthday and email has logistically made my grocery shopping, which I should mention is done in a different country, much, much easier.

I, like most of the Western world, do partially love technology.

Yet, that is not the end of the story. Oh no!

In the beginning of December my computer crashed. Yep, the old thing just decided not to turn on one day. When it finally agreed to boot up (or whatever they are calling it these days) I discovered that all of my information was gone. Three years of pictures, all of my music, four not yet uploaded blogs, loads of information…. all seemingly gone.

While I was in the States, I purchased a fancy external hard-drive. I planned to re-save all of my important information just in case something were to happen. To-Do-Lists kept reminding me to use this new shiny device - the external hard-drive - but I am sick to say that I never did.

To say that I'm a bit upset about losing all of my information, is a vast understatement! I am calmer now, but at the time, I was literally sick to my stomach.

I am currently borrowing a computer. I will not be using my computer until I can have it looked at in Nairobi. Praying that the information may be retrieved.

Oh, technology…

No comments: