Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Mom and Dad's African Adventure Part II: Zanzibar, Tanzania


"SMILE UR IN ZANZIBAR!"
So, we did!

Mom buying fabric in the open market.
We LOVE an open market!

You may not believe this, but it's true.
One afternoon Mom, Dad and I got massages!
Dad practically insisted that Mom and I also get a pedicure.
So, we did!

Bliss!!!


Mom's birthday dinner at my favorite Zanzibar restaurant,
the Red Flame Tree.
The jumbo shrimp are well, jumbo.

A daladala - Zanzibar's form of public transportation.
I love packing into the back of these open air trucks.
Mom and Dad were a little less impressed with the two hour cramped drive.

The Birthday Girl Combs the Beach

So Many Shells!

The boat ride back from our snorkeling trip to Chumbe Island.

Also, Beaut-i-ful!!!

Chumbe Island Lighthouse

Chumbe Island

Few things scare me, but heights most certainly do.
I could just imagine myself tripping and falling through the less than adequate railing
as I walked down the lighthouse's 250+ stairs.
I was sweating like a pig
and so tense that my legs were sore for almost a week afterward.

Much happier on the top of the Chumbe Island Lighthouse.

Catching the boat to Chumbe Island.
Check out Dad's shoes. His sandles were in the lost luggage...

Barefoot, Beach Dinner

The water on this beach was at least 90 degrees -
like a hot bath.

Spice Tour Lunch

Mom and I on the Spice Tour
We saw nutmeg, cinnamon, pepper and clove trees,
plus the source of lots of other tropical treats.

Zanzibar Market

Mom and Dad bartering for fabric and island spices.

Old Slave Chambers
Zanzibar used to be a major slave trading post.



Mom's Shells

One Hot Momma!


Stone Town - Zanzibar


This is why I LOVE sunscreen.
An almost sunscreen free swim in Zanzibar is never a good idea.
Sorry Dad.

These girls were collecting seaweed, sea cucumbers and other sea treasures.










Two in Orange


Breakfast
Fruit, omelets, fresh bread, real butter, fresh squeezed juice and chai.

We spent two nights in a little seaside town on the east side of the island.
Mom and I spent her birthday morning walking the beach, searching for shells and watching the local women and children collect seaweed.







Aaaahhh, yes...

Chumbe Island

Enjoying the view from the top of Chumbe Island's lighthouse.



Mom and Dad tasting a new and obviously tasty tropical fruit on the Spice Tour.

Spice Tour
Jak Fruit - a cross between a banana and a pineapple - not my favorite.


2 comments:

Kate B said...

WOW! It is totally strange to see your mom and dad in Africa. I just never thought that I would see that! They looked like they fit right in! CRAZY! Beautiful pictures Kim. Be safe. You are a wonderful person and I'm tickled that I know you. :)

lori said...

It looks like your folks and you had a very good vacation. Wow. Nice.

The slave chamber photo is so sobering. It made me stop breathing for a second.

I like the Two In Orange shot on the water.

Also, I see that Autumn Lapour's blog is listed on your page. Do you know her? I went to college with her in Portland and follow her blog!