Saturday, September 11, 2010

Mudhuts, Crows and Monkeys = My Life

After living in a tent for about five months, our Didinga houses were FINALLY finished!!! It was so very nice to upgrade into the mud huts.
Now, how many people can honestly say that...


Mudding

Building Supplies

Home Sweet Home!
My hut is on the far left, Elly's is in the middle and Tianne's is on the far right.

African House - African Dress

Yep, I love this one!

In May, when I finally returned to Hills after my extended time out due to Sudan's April elections and my infected right foot (which healed up quite perfectly - still thanking God and Tenwek Hospital for that), I came home to an expanded household.
Tianne, an extreme animal lover, had rescued an abandoned baby crow, who she later named Bell Ladonna. Bell Ladonna enjoyed spending her Didinga days incessantly cawing and pooping on the dish rack. Sadly, this crow's life was cut short when a little boy, with a good shot, killed her with an arrow (and no, I had no part in this birdies premature demise).

The crow was not the only new addition to the compound. Jonathan and Lauren, our fellow Didinga missionaries, bought themselves a wild monkey, which they named Lomilong.

Rose, Atlas, Lomilong and Bell Ladonna - True Friends
I have to admit, that it was pretty entertaining to watch two dogs, one crow and a monkey
play, eat and sleep together.

There for awhile, we had two dogs - Rose and Atlas (Elly's dog Compass had already been killed in a fatal dog fight) - one crow and a monkey hanging around. However, that was short lived. Bell Ladonna was shot and my puppy, Atlas, was killed. These days, the household includes Rose, and what will be her 3rd litter of puppies, and Jonathan and Lauren's now orphaned monkey.



For me, a self-proclaimed non-animal lover, it all takes a bit of adjusting and a great deal of patience.

2 comments:

michelle theisen said...

Kim! Your huts are beautifully done! I'm so glad for the upgrade as Jeff and I lived in tents for awhile in Magwi and know how it is to have a more permanent structure around you and over your head...much warmer at night and cooler in the heat of the day able to withstand wind and torrential rain. Happy you are able to be back after all the challenges. Praying for you and Sudan.

The Herlings said...

Looks like you are doing great.