Thursday, September 17, 2009

Surprises

Surprise Pictures are coming soon...maybe tomorrow. I thought that I should share this news sooner, rather than later.

After three months of living out of a suitcase, I packed one last bag, boarded four more planes and after 26 hours of travel, landed in a little place called... Spokane, Washington.

Since mid-July, shortly after we learned that our team would not be returning to Sudan, I have been planning to make a short trip back to the States. In fact, at our TIMO debrief, AIM strongly encouraged each of us to take a few months of what they call, "Compassionate Leave". A time to travel home, rest and regroup before moving onto our next assignment.

Sorry I didn't mention it, but it was sort of meant to be a surprise...
Keeping it undercover, I only told my sister Stephanie (she was let into the loop as the logistics coordinator for the Surprise of the Century's, or that is what the crowds are calling it, isn't it?) and a few long distance friends, that were sworn to secrecy.

I arrived late Saturday night, spent the night and the rest of Sunday hiding out and, let's be honest, sleeping, at my sister's friend's house. Monday morning, my parents, sisters, nieces, aunts, uncles and cousins gathered at my sister's house for an African Skype date (or so they thought). My sister gathered them in the backyard, claiming we needed a Skype photo in case the African connection was rotten...never. Once Stephanie had everyone gathered, she asked, "Who's missing from the picture?".

At this point, I jumped out from behind the fence and yelled, "What about me?"

To say the least, my family was pretty surprised. Most stood there, mouths wide open, staring. My Dad was the first to regain consciousness, coming forward to hug me. Mom just kept saying, "This is the BEST surprise ever! I just can't believe it!" Pretty emotional.

My favorite part was seeing my little nieces and meeting my new nephew, Oliver Ellis Jones. He is the very definition of adorable. While I hugged my older nieces, Cassidy, Tanner and Josie, four year old Lily stepped back and stared at me in disbelief. It was a sweet, sweet moment when she ran up to me, wrapped her skinny arms tightly around my neck and declared, "I wanted to see you SOOOOO much. I missed you, Auntie Kim!"

I missed her too!

I plan to be home for a few months resting, praying about the future and processing the past. I hope to make my way back to Africa by the first of the year.

For now, I am looking forward to long and uninterrupted walks, apples, playing with my nieces and TWO brand new nephews, Fall, sewing with my Mom, seeing friends, Stumptown coffee, climbing mountains that won't get me kicked out of the country... You know, the usual.

2 comments:

Taylor said...

Yay Kim! I am so excited to see you! Are you planning on making a trip over the mountains anytime soon?

Kim Davey said...

How about tomorrow...
My Mom and I are taking my cousin to her first day of college at WWU. Yep, she picked the right college, if I do say so myself!

Hope to catch up with you and your wifey for a hike or bike ride or Boundary Bay treat.

Hope to see you soon!