Sunday, June 7, 2009

The Clinic



In May, the clinic opened meeting the Didinga's strong desire to have a clinic of their own. With the next closest clinic a day's walk away, the medical need is at times great. However, we can already see how God is using the clinic as a viable means of sharing the Gospel and His love with the people of Didinga. We pray with each and every patient and, in the future, plan to story the Bible with those who are waiting on the grounds.

We only have one trained nurse on our team, but almost everyone is responsible for helping to keep the clinic running. While I have diagnosed and treated patients on occasion, my main role are the "agooshies" or wounds.

I'm still not sure how I got this job, as I am a horrible nurse. I'm usually more squeamish than my "patients", often weak in the knees and known to, on occasion, dry heave while cleaning out the super disgusting or infected wounds.

Yet, God is good. He is there when the babies, who have fallen into the fire, sometimes burnt so badly they are missing limbs, are carried in. He sees the weak, the elderly, the perpetually hungover. He sees, he knows and he cares.

No comments: